5 Books That Shaped Who I Am

7:19 PM



Man's Search For Meaning- Viktor E. Frankl

There is a reason why this book has sold twelve million copies. It takes you through the experience of a Holocaust survivor, Viktor Frankl. Here is someone in the most unimaginable of circumstances, still feeling hopeful about life, taking each day as it comes, and creating meaning out of it. The mere feeling of hope the book radiates is inspirational. This book was recommended to me as an undergrad during a course on existentialism. It made me re-evaluate the value of each day. It makes a person appreciate something that is taken for granted: life at the present time. If anything the book emphasises choice and I quote Frankl, 

"Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom."


Veronika Decides to Die- Paulo Coelho

Another book on existentialism; clearly I have an affinity for books exploring life's meaning. Coelho writes about a woman who has everything yet still has nothing, until she realises her life's worth. It reminded me of the inherent value of life, something that is taken so lightly. It's a re-affirmation on why I needed to make the most out of each day (an eye-opener for a chronic procrastinator). It makes you question, 'what would you do if you only had a couple of days to live?'. This brings us to examine the most important things in life, the goals that I'd like to achieve for myself or how I would like to be remembered. 


The Boston Girl- Anita Diamant

This is a book that's written in the style of a conversation between Addie and her twenty-two year old granddaughter. It is scattered with simple joys and words of wisdom. I could only describe this book as warm and comforting. Reading this reminds you of the long conversations you'd have with a grandparent requesting for the 100th time to tell their life story because it's coming from someone who has walked the path before you. It's light-hearted but packed with experiences that are both optimistic and disappointing and if anything it tugs on those emotional heart strings. The narrative made me think, if I were to look back and tell my life story, how would that story go? Do I add to the story by working through anxiety and fears, or tell a story of someone who lived life vicariously through others?


Quiet-Susan Cain

People say 'be who you are' but it's certainly easier said than done. This book was the further nudge I needed to feel empowered and comfortable in who I am-an introvert who loves to stay at home, have a warm cup of tea surrounded by my loves that are my labs and beagle (also named beagle). For the longest time we have debated between the nature of introverts and extroverts with a high emphasis on the advantages of being extroverts. I thought I needed to 'fake it' at times, pretend I'm more outgoing than I am. Truthfully, I am someone who loves being in the comfort of my own home, and I have a few close friends that I enjoy spending time with. Embracing myself for who I am was probably the most unnerving thing I have done, and it is something that I am still doing.

Bite Marks courtesy of Johnny

Emotional Intelligence-Daniel Goleman

This is the reason why both my dissertations have been around the topic of 'Emotional Intelligence'. Goleman makes compelling statements backed with evidence as to why we all should focus more on emotional intelligence than IQ levels. After all, as human beings we relate to others in ways we don't even think. A simple example being the contagiousness of yawning. Subtle right? We have a capacity for empathy, and if we recognise the potency of this we can build a world based on mutual understanding, love and respect. Wouldn't that be nice? The best aspect about this is that we can grow our emotional intellect, by practicing empathy, by practicing acceptance, and kindness.

I'd like to know which books shaped your lives and who you are as individuals. Do let me know in a comment down below.

Thank you for reading!
Much Love,


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Pinterest