Cruelty-Free Hair Care + Tips

2:37 AM



I read somewhere that Cindy Crawford thought that hair was a person's most attractive quality, and if she thinks so then that's something to think about. I certainly did. One of my friends on Instagram asked me to share my secrets to keeping my hair in good condition. I'll admit that I've been blessed with good hair (thanks mom!) but I also take steps to keep it that way. Over the years I've struggled with everything, from dandruff to hair loss (which is an ongoing struggle). I thought I will share with you how I care for my hair, and what works for me right now.

Before we get started, I want to share that these are the products that works for me. You might have seen these on my blog before as well.


  • In terms of my hair, it can get greasy very easily, but will dry out whenever I'm out and about in Colombo. Dust, pollution, and the humidity can do a number on the state of hair. 
  • I always comb my hair prior to a shower. This makes it so much easier for me to apply the products without dealing with strands of hair getting tangled up around my fingers whenever I try to massage my scalp. 
  • Post-shower I let my hair air-dry. I only use my hair-dryer on rushed mornings which could be like twice or thrice a month. 
  • I don't use other styling tools every day. I would on occasion straighten my hair perhaps once or twice a month, or whenever I would have an event. 
  • I don't use hair spray, or mousse, and I would use dry shampoo on days when my hair gets greasy. 


I will re-share some of the tips I got from Mr. Alex Fleming from Alex Hair Salon during the launch event of The Body Shop Fuji Green Tea Scrub because they were really helpful

Let's get started...


When it comes to my everyday shower routine, I've been consistently using The Body Shop Ginger Shampoo which is an anti-dandruff shampoo. I love the smell, and its cleansing properties. Although it says it is for dry/ flaky scalp, this shampoo works amazingly well for my hair which is prone to greasiness. As I have mentioned previously, this shampoo can be quite drying as it strips off some of the natural oils. I don't mind this since my hair gets oily anyway, but this would be a concern to any one of you with already dry/ frizzy hair. I always make sure I follow up with a good conditioner due to this reason. With this shampoo I've seen greater control of dandruff, and especially the resulting itchiness. 

Tip: Take a small amount of shampoo on to the palm, and dilute it with a little bit of water before gently massaging on to the scalp. Do not apply product straight from the container on to the top of the scalp as this can be damaging. 




The Body Shop doesn't have a conditioner to accompany their Ginger Shampoo, hence I use their Banana Conditioner which makes my hair softer, and their Fuji Green Tea Conditioner which is nourishing and makes my hair more lively, interchangeably.

Tip: Do not apply conditioner while hair is still dripping wet. Squeeze out the excess water, and apply the conditioner to hair starting from the middle portion to the tips. Use whatever is remaining on the palm to the roots of the hair. 


Whenever I step out in Colombo I notice how my hair gets progressively dry throughout the day. I find that there is a lot of build-up for which I need a thorough cleanse. So I use the Fuji Green Tea Hair Scrub by The Body Shop. I've already posted a review about this. I find that this does an exemplary job in removing the buildup on the hair to make my scalp feel squeaky clean. It's not for every day use, so  use it once a week. 

While these products in combination helps me keep my hair in good condition, they can also make my hair dry out rather easily. The struggle is very real in terms of keeping that balance. So I make sure I treat my hair with oil every 2 to 3 weeks. My preference is for virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil. I begin with combing my hair, and applying the oil to the entire length of my hair whilst gently massaging the scalp. I wait for it to soak in for about an hour, and then rinse off with shampoo. This ensures I have healthy looking hair.

As for the hair loss problem, I haven't still found a solution except to use the oil treatment more regularly, and try as much as I can to eat healthy. So if you have any recommendations for this, in terms of products or natural treatments, help a girl out in a comment down below.

Shop This Post:




Thank you so much for reading this post,
Much Love,

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Pinterest